The general duties shall be, per the hours allotted:
Assisting with Financial Administration
- Work with the president and treasurer to oversee the smooth operation of the CFU finances
- Submit receipts and undertake other financial tasks as required
- Coordinate the week-to-week operations of the Canadian Freelance Union, and support the CFU executive board.
- Attend online board meetings to provide reports and post approved minutes on the CFU website.
- Assist with CFU events such as the online general meetings, workshops, and meetups.
Membership support and advocacy
- Follow up with members’ inquiries, track membership requests and suggestions, and liaise with appropriate CFU representative(s)
- Support Unifor organizing efforts and work with appropriate Unifor staff as directed by the CFU executive
- Assist with research and drafting statements on issues of interest and concern to freelance workers in the media sector
- Make phone calls to members telling them about their membership status, upcoming events, etc.
- Assist with CFU committees, CFU campaigns, and membership development initiatives.
Organizing support and campaigns
- To help build the membership base of the CFU
- To work towards targets for recruitment, in conjunction with the national organizing department, and to regularly report on progress.
- To visit spaces where freelancers work (cafes, shared office spaces, digital forums etc.) whenever possible to organize unorganized freelancers who work in these spaces.
- To identify existing groups, formal or informal associations of freelancers to arrange meetings and presentations, especially in virtual spaces
- To set-up and have conversations with individual freelancers
- To work with the CFU executive and the other organizers to phone members who have lapsed membership and encourage renewals.
Other tasks as requested from time to time